From: nailtech@googlegroups.com [mailto:nailtech@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Becky
Sent: October-29-11 1:26 PM
To: nailtech@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: NailTech:: Re: Appointment Stretching

I almost posted a question on Facebook to demonstrate how well my clients
understand my policies, instead I'm going to just explain it here.

Since the beginning, I have been a nailtech part time. I worked when my
babies were little, and I worked during the times that my husband was
available to watch our kids. This meant there was no wavering from my
schedule and if a client canceled they were out of luck until their next
appointment because I was complete booked during the times I was available.
This has not changed. I am fully booked during the hours I choose to work.
In the other hours of my week, I have other things I need to get done. We
all do.

When I started my lia Sophia business, I had to be quite militant about my
time, I didn't have room for movement, period.

This background brings me to my point and my policies. Set a schedule, stick
to it. If you are working partial days here and there and not staying
booked, start moving clients together and fill one day instead of having two
half days. The more booked you look, the busier you will stay. Don't explain
why you are doing it, just have your clients understand that your time is
just as important as theirs. Mine know that I am doing family things on my
time off, they respect this.

I now take clients every Tuesday and Wednesday. They are all booked in two
week increments, I don't care how good their nails look. They need service
at two weeks. They also know they play hell trying to get back in with me
before their next appointment in two weeks because I don't have time the
following week. I have been known to not book a client even if I had time or
needed the money just to make this point. Missing your appointment means
waiting another two weeks and that leads to potential for breaks, lifting,
etc. I also charge an additional $20 ($10 for each week missed) for that
appointment. I do this for a living and this is my income. I went through a
rash of people rescheduling because they couldn't afford their appointment
but telling me they had something come up. Now, that's fine, but I'm going
to recover some of that. I have very few cancellations, very few.

Now many of you are just getting started, or are in a salon environment
where you don't control your schedule ( don't get me started on exactly why
I never was an employee, this is a huge part. I make my own schedule) but
we, on this list, are a special breed. We keep our education and knowledge
up to date, we are current on the hot trends and products, and we are good
at what we do. Good clients recognize this, and appreciate it. They will
also do whatever they need to not to lose their spot with you.  My calendar
is so predictable, I can look at Tuesday in three years and tell you whose
recurring appointment I will be doing.

I don't allow appointment stretching unless there are extreme circumstances,
I don't like people bouncing all over my books.

That being said, I have been called the nail Nazi, but I can tell you,
people will do what you ask of them.  I have the best clients in the
business because there is mutual respect, because I deserve it and so do
they.

Becky