I'm VERY frugal, I always watch the bottom line, and I think at $500 per
month "the rent is too damn high"! I mean, for the love of God....you are
renting space, not purchasing a house! Keep in mind that there is never
only one way. You just have to break it down in a problem solving method by
asking yourself:

1) where are you now?   answer: rent is too high.
2) where do you want to be?   answer: lower rent.
3) how are you going to get there?

answer:
A) negotiate with the owner for cheaper rent.
B) move to another salon where rent is cheaper.
C) open your own salon.

I knew a tech who rented a janitors closet, complete with deep utility
sink, in a building because all the other rooms for rent were full. She
negotiated with the building owner for $50 per month to rent this space
that had no windows and was at the end of a hallway. Since it wasn't making
the owner any money, he thought 'why not'?

Yes, $50 per MONTH, not week! She painted the room in bright colors, hung
fabric on the wall where the pipes & electrical box were and she built a
booming business working 9am - 4pm Mondays thru Fridays & no weekends. How
she thought out of the box and found this place when she first moved to
town was truly amazing. I'm sure the state inspector was equally impressed
with her ingenuity!

I happened upon my place in a commercial building that for some reason had
a 1 BR apartment in it. I turned that 1 BR apartment into my salon with the
BR being my private pedi room and the LR which is open to the Kitchen is my
nail room. I have my own bathroom with washer/dryer, plus tons of closet
space and more storage in the kitchen cabinets. On top of it all, the
building is a cute little cottage with it's own parking lot and it has a
wheel chair ramp, too! Visit www.jillsnails.com for photos. It takes me
less than 2 days to earn what I pay for an entire months rent.

Look around. Explore other options. Look at places differently. Always
remember there is never only one way:)

Jill Wright
Bowling Green, KY
www.nailtechevent.com