I agree with Kelley...this is a BUSINESS and you need (deserve) to be treated
as a fully professional business woman.  The landlord (owner) taking away
something that you’d agreed upon when you started the deal nullifies that deal!
You should be either renegotiate a lower amount...or leave with no penalty.
Don’t let them guilt you. A deal is a deal!

I have given up trying to find space in an existing salon....didn’t happen.

So....now I am renting space in a salon suite situation (they’re very big here
in Dallas area).  This was advertised to me as 8’ x 10’, 80 square feet....for
$150 per week, which comes to $649.50/mo.  Amenities include water, sewer,
electricity, trash and simple cable TV (and a flat screen TV mounted in your
room), sink in your room, nice common area bathrooms and waiting area, W/D on
the premises and a break room with fridge, micro, dishwasher. After I signed
the papers and actually got in there to clean...it measures out at 7.5’ by
10’....which is 75 square feet. I got them to knock some of the rent off the
first few weeks, so I’ll live with it. I told the leasing agent I was NOT happy
with their misrepresentation. She tried to say, “Well the suites are actually
measured from the middle of the walls for each unit” BUT if that is true, then
why didn’t they say the space was 8’ x 10 1/2’???  You can’t have it both ways!
I told her she needed to be more precise and state “usable space” in the
future.... <sigh>

ANYWAY...when comparing commercial rental space, this prices out to
$8.33/square foot, (or if it’s quoted on an annual basis, as sometimes is done,
$104/sq ft) which is actually pretty high, but the utilities makes it come back
into balance.  ($150/75 = $2 x 4.33 wks per month x 12 mos)  Keep this in mind
when doing your homework....I feel it’s really no one’s business what I make in
my space, so basing my rent on my income is not something I’d want to do. Just
saying.

Good luck!

Karen
Grapevine
Where Morning Glory, flowers again!  lol