What is the cause of attendance drop off? We seem to be treating the
symptoms extensively.

Indeed.

I have heard lots of handwaving about why attendance might be down,
but few ideas that are amenable to quantitative analysis. Several
possible reasons are being attended to, however (e.g. planning
meeting locations far in advance, changes to the programme structure
by the PC). There is doubtless more work to do.

I'm convinced it's a combination of location and agenda. There's
definately a lot of FUD flying and it would be nice to see some
work that has some facts associated with it, but also some solutions.

I would like to break this item away from the rest of the attendance fee thread. I believe location is one of the main reasons why attendance goes up and down. The smaller the market generally the smaller attendance. If you want good attendance pick Tier-1 markets that have large international airports.

I would also suggest that we pick a location that is common for one meeting per year. That location should be in a Top 10 market.

-Chris