The program committee (I am a member, but not representing) had some
discussion in Toronto on the subject of recruiting tutorials containing
entry level material. Philip's bgp tutorials have always been well
received but most tutorial material we receive is aimed fairly narrowly
at routing/bandwidth/te issues and some fairly high-level concepts. I
realize that nanog future's participants are not necessarily the target
audience for introductory materials, but people in your companies might
be. Would additional or different folks gets sent if there were
tutorials relevant to their interests or business roles? Would topics
like this be a useful addition to the tutorial agenda?

Off the top of my head and in no particular order entry-level topics
might include (but not be limited to) things like:

DNS operations
mechanics of voip
network instrumentation
ids/ips deployment
understanding flow/packet capture output
noc practices (monitoring/ticketing)
setting up a looking-glass
deploying load-balanced services
machine virtualization

Are things like this useful? Is audience too macho to be seen with their
peers discussing rfc 2317 reverse dns delegation? Are the potential
presenters who haven't submitted tutorials because of a perception that
nanog isn't in the business of entry-level educational outreach?

Sorry for all the questions, the Socratic dialog has been going on in my
head for a couple of meetings.

joelja