On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:32:13PM -0700, Paul Ferguson wrote:
[snip]
> I don't mind gentle reminders, but non-specific gestures cloud the issue
> and sometimes appear hypocritical.
>
> I could easily name a few other threads on NANOG currently that I believe
> are off-topic, so if the MLC is going to send "gentle-reminders", could it
> please be a bit more fair & specific in it's "reminders"?
>
> That is all I ask, because right now, it seems rather arbitrary.

I know in the past there was definitely a great deal of effort to balance
the private reminders with the public to avoid noise and interminable meta-
conversations.  My impression is we're still seeing that balancing effort,
so I'm boggled by the comment.  A public reminder about three elements of
a couple threads which were heading off the beam seems sane rather than
'hypocritical' or 'arbitrary'.  If you've a specific suggestion for what
can be done, the please share it.  I think the MLC has been doing a good
job and would be more than open to specific, constructive critique.

Cheers!

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE