Perhaps we could invert the modest propsal thusly:
If the topic of discussion has been or is likely to be a presentation topic,
then it is known to be on-topic for the mailing list.  Other topics may or may
not, at mlc discretion, etc.

(I'm also reasonably happy with the way things are now, and am not
motivated to change them drastically)

-David Barak