On 10/27/10 5:41 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
> I don't understand "probably, and I don't understand "loose enough".
You don't understand English?  That's ok, I don't understand most languages.

> What is the rationale for trying to restrict membership to those who
> qualify as network engineers? To seek to do that opens up the
> near-impossible task of trying to define a network engineer
Did anyone state that it was a requirement to be a network engineer?
The requirement is that you are involved with network operations, either
through employment, study or community involvement.  What is so hard
about that?

> If there is no such rationale, then we don't need 4.1 at all. Strike it
Of course there is rationale.  We want to make sure that members are
involved in network operations.  Individuals that are not involved in
network operations are of no value to NewNOG or NANOG.  This does not
mean that you have to be a network engineer.

> How about we put qualifications in if we know definitively that they
> are needed, and not because we suspect that maybe they might be?
I believe they are needed.

> This document ought to contain the bare minimum number of words
> required to specify accurately what the situation is. It should not
> have extra clauses that people shouldn't worry about because they
> don't really mean anything. If the clause isn't pertinent, scratch it out.
If only we did not have rules lawyers...  If we did not need bylaws or a
charter...  If we could have trusted Merit...  If we could trust people,
we wouldn't need rules, or laws or religion, or money or...  What world
do you live in?

I believe that we need clarity, not ambiguity.  I don't have a sign up
on my front door that says you can't take the apples off the tree in my
back yard.  Does that mean that you can or can't?  If someone go in the
back yard to pick apples and break his leg, what do you want to bet that
they will try to sue me?  We need definition of the requirements of
members.  We may be able change the language, but I think it is pretty
clear the way that it is written.

  -Sean