Operational comment, question:

I've learned that having an MTU smaller than 1500 bytes is a bad thing. When encountering networks with MTUs smaller than 1500 bytes, path MTU discovery breaks when sites like a computer science college my friend is going to .edu, a certain 'us' online bank.com, and the worlds most popular auction site.com block all icmp, including the icmp "fragmentation needed but DF bit set" packets. Despite what the RFCs say, the transit internet, in my opinion, generally needs to accept and transit packets up to 1500 bytes without packet fragmentation.

Is this consistent with what everyone else's operational experiences?

Is there an RFC that clearly states: "The internet needs to transit 1500 byte packets without fragmentation."??