> To: nanog@merit.edu
> Subject: Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:58:39 +0100
>

> > > Why can't we have VoIP phones with built-in GPS receivers and a
> >
> > Because GPS doesn't work indoors.
>
> GPS works anywhere where the satellite signals can be detected.
> http://www.u-blox.com/technology/supersense.html
> Obviously, signals get weaker when they have to pass through
> solid materials like building walls. But people are already
> working on more sensitive receivers.
>
> But, leaving that aside, if the IP phone has a battery
> inside it and if it can record previous GPS locations
> and if you move the phone outside to a new location, then
> it could remember the last GPS detectable location and
> use that when it connects to the net again.

There's a reason these kinds of capabilities aren't in VoIP "phones".

That reason is *money*.

GPS capability in the handset would raise the cost of low-end VoIP
handsets by an order of magnitude, at least.

Using battery-power for the GPS while not plugged into the line is
a laugh.  Think about what happens when the batteries run down, *before*
the phone reaches it's final destination.  Suppose it's in an airplane
at the time.   The 911 call shows a "location"  of 37,000 ft _above_
the middle of Lake Michigan.  Care to imagine the lawsuit when somebody
*dies*, when 'emergency responce' didn't get there in time, _because_ the
phone lied about where it was at?

Note: this is all getting _fair_ afield from the chartered NANOG subject
matter.  I'll shut up.