Thus spake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > VoIP is great. VoPI (Voice over Public Internet) is great when
> > it works, but I wouldn't bet my life or my business on it.
>
> Who says that you have to disconnect your home phone
> just because you use VoIP?  In fact, one of the advantages
> of DSL over cable, is that the phone line is still there.
> Buy a bright red "hot-line" phone, put a sticker on it
> that says "For Emergencies Only!" and another one with
> "911". Place it in the front hall so that any visitors
> to your home see it when they enter. Disconnect the
> ringer on the hot-line phone so that you aren't
> disturbed by wrong numbers and telemarketers.
>
> Then use VoIP for all your regular calls.

So you're saying everyone should continue paying $30/mo for a POTS line just
for 911 calls?  A typical Vonage customer buys the service to replace, not
supplement, their POTS line.

Frankly, I'm fine with 911 not working on VoIP lines; I have a cell phone
for that when needed.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever
actually dialed 911 from a land line.

I understand the woes of mixing 911 and VoIP myself, although I'm not a
Vonage user.  The VoIP phone on my desk connects 911 calls to the Vancouver,
BC, PSAP (since it's off a PBX at work), but I also know the direct-dial
number for the local Dallas, TX, PSAP -- the emergency line, not the
"administrative" line that Vonage uses -- and if I bothered, I could easily
set the PBX to reroute 911 there instead.  Location information is tougher,
but I have to tell the operator my location on a cell phone too, so it's not
a deal-killer.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov