On a related note, I just discovered a NID that has 1.1.1.1 assigned to the
outband interface by default, and it is apparently not user modifiable. So, not
only can these devices never use 1.1.1.1 for name resolution, but attempts to
determine "is the circuit up" by pinging it will always return bad information.
To really pour salt on the wound, this device has no physical outbound
interface (likely why the UI doesn't allow changing it).

Bug report filed. I don't really want to use it for either purpose, but
hopefully a fix saves someone else the headache. And it really chaps my ....
when public addresses get used this way.