> On Feb 11, 2022, at 13:14 , Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
>
> Because literally every case I've seen along these lines is someone
> complaining about the coax connection is "only 100 meg when I pay for 200
> meg".  Comcast was the most hated company and yet they factually had better
> speeds (possibly in part to their subjectively terrible customer service) for
> years.
>
> >An apartment building could have cheap 1G fiber and the houses across the
> >street have no option but slow DSL.
>
> Where is this example?  Or is this strictly hypothetical?

There are literally dozens (if not thousands) of such examples in silicon
valley alone.

> I am not seeing any examples, anywhere, with accurate data, where it's what
> most consider to be in town/urban and poor speeds.  The only one that was
> close was Jared and I'm pretty sure when I saw the map I wouldn't consider
> that in town (could be wrong) but again, there's gig fiber there now.  I
> don't remember if he actually got his CLEC, or why that matters, but there's
> fiber there now.

Pretty sure you would have a hard time calling San Jose “not in town”. It’s
literally #11 in the largest 200 cities in the US with a population of
1,003,120 (954,940 in the 2010 census) and a population density of 5,642
people/sq. mile (compare to #4 Houston, TX at 3,632/Sq. Mi.).

Similar conditions exist in parts of Los Angeles, #2 on the same list at
3,985,516 (3,795,512 in 2010 census) and 8,499/Sq. Mi.

I speak of California because it’s where I have the most information. I’m sure
this situation exists in other states as well, but I don’t have actual data.

The simple reality is that there are three sets of incentives that utilities
tend to chase and neither of them provides for the mezzo-urban and sub-urban
parts of America…
        1.      USF — Mostly supports rural deployments.
        2.      Extreme High Density — High-Rise apartments in dense arrays,
Not areas of town houses, smaller apartment complexes, or single family
dwellings.
        3.      Neighborhoods full of McMansions — Mostly built very recently
and where the developers would literally pay the utilities to pre-deploy in
order to boost sales prices.

Outside of those incentives, there’s very little actual deployment of broadband
improvements, leaving vast quantities of average Americans underserved.

Owen