From: "Brandon Martin" <lists.na...@monmotha.net>
To: nanog@nanog.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2023 9:27:58 AM
Subject: Re: Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

On 11/27/23 18:52, owen--- via NANOG wrote:
> Why would 1” be significantly harder to get than 3/4”? Both in EMT and PVC,
> it’s readily available to the best of my knowledge.

Most residential electrical contractors are going to use rated ENT since
it's what they can easily get at a normal supply house or even home
center. This is the stuff made popular by Carlon in their trademark
blue that makes people call it "smurf tube". It's readily available in
1/2" and 3/4" everywhere from home centers to basically any supply
house. 1" is less common - most home centers don't have it, and since
it isn't normally needed in residential nor is ENT basically ever used
in commercial, neither do a lot of strictly electrical supply houses.

You can of course get corrugated communication duct in that size, often
with mule tape pre-installed as a bonus, but a lot of electrical supply
houses that deal only in "electrical" and not "communications" don't
have that and will send folks to a "low voltage communication supplier"
or have to special order it. A lot of electrical contractors,
especially residential, would rather not bother with a separate supply
run, and having to wait is a pain if it wasn't planned early on and also
often means you're paying freight separately.

Even then, most of the folks going to a communications supplier are
going to reach straight for 1.25" or larger in commercial since you
don't have to worry about drilling studs. As I recall, my local
communication cable house didn't even have 1" in stock, but they did
have 1.25" in stock, and their price was basically the same as the 1" as
a result.

So it's not that it doesn't exist or anything, it's just that, at least
as far as I've seen, there's not a ton of demand for it, so local stock
is thin.

All that said, I just checked Home Depot, and they are showing some
stock on 1" ENT at my local store, so maybe that's changing. Used to be
they only stocked 3/4" and 1/2". They still only have 25ft hanks of the
1" stuff (you can get 1/2" and 3/4" in 25 or 100-200ft), but at least
they have it now. It is still about 4x the price of 3/4" per unit
length, though.

--
Brandon Martin