> On Nov 30, 2023, at 16:50, Brandon Martin <lists.na...@monmotha.net> wrote:
>
> On 11/28/23 12:43, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I’ve never used ENT (never even seen that name, TBH). 1” EMT is readily
>> available at Home Depot and Lowes out here as well as several reputable
>> supply houses.
>> Interesting… ENT is apparently plastic and has interesting snap fittings.
>> Until this email, I’ve never even looked into it. Used plenty of the “ENT”
>> boxes, but always just called them PVC (since that’s what the ENT stuff is
>> apparently made of). EMT is way more common out here than ENT, and even
>> where plastic is used, most seem to use straight electrical PVC (grey stuff
>> usually) instead of of the ENT brand stuff.
>
> It really comes down to if the path is straight or complicated.
>
> If it's just poking straight through a wall to something adjacent on the
> inside or nearby, rigid pipe works fine, is easy enough to work with, and is
> readily available.
>
> However if the external "demarc area" and inside "media aggregation area"
> aren't nearby or are separated by a convoluted path once running inside walls
> and ceilings is taken into account, flexible conduit is obviously easier, and
> ENT is a readily available option most electricians are going to be familiar
> with for that.  It's literally where the term "smurf tube" came from AFAIK.
> It's not itself a brand-specific thing (indeed multiple manufacturers make
> it) and is just yet another type of raceway defined by NEC, but the blue
> Carlon stuff is well known.

Interesting… I’ve always thought of that super-thin flimsy corrugated plastic
cut side tubing (similar to this):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panduit/CLT50F-C3?qs=gyp5g9lXdE5smA3BAFqGhA%3D%3D&mgh=1&gad_source=1
 which (originally) came in a very bright blue and later black, orange, and
many other colors.

However, apparently ENT was a predecessor to that, I just hadn’t encountered it
until now. I don’t recall even seeing it in the aisles at local HDs. I’ll have
to look for it.

For the most part out here, if it’s going behind sheetrock,
contractors/electricians just run Romex or whatever in bare stud holes without
any form of conduit.

Owen