It’s one of those things that makes a lot more sense on paper than in practice.
I’ve found it to be operationally difficult from the perspective the provider
and the user, primarily but not solely because any “co-managed” system is going
to lend itself to finger pointing when issues arise. Even if it makes more
commercial sense at first blush to prefer a spectrum solution over dark or
traditional waves, I suspect that factoring in “labor cost wasted over
unproductive troubleshooting” changes the equation a bit. I also suspect that
continued price compression on optical hardware will lead to fewer and fewer
situations where it might make commercial sense at first blush too.

YMMV of course and there may be reasons beyond simple commercial models where
spectrum might make sense for you, but I’d urge you to only consider it doing
with a provider where you’ve had a track record of operational success working
with them.

Dave Cohen
craetd...@gmail.com