On 03/12/2009, at 12:45 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Come on CPE vendors - most of your run Linux in your CPEs these days.  How
> hard is it to make it work?   Someone got an image working for us with
> OpenWRT in his spare time in a week, surely you CPE vendors can cobble
> something together for people to try out in a real piece of ADSL CPE I can
> buy at a shop?

The fact that someone got OpenWRT working in less than a week of spare
time makes it totally clear why the commercial vendors haven't done
anything:  They're just simply not interested, nothing more, nothing
less.

There's obviously no technical barrier whatsoever (otherwise, again,
OpenWRT wouldn't work).  If it can be done in a week of developer
time there's barely even an economic barrier.

It's just disinterest.

Linksys, being owned by the world's largest router vendor and being
confronted with actual independently-developed working code for their
hardware platforms, have the least excuse out of any of them.  Years
and years of talk, and no customer-visible action whatsoever.  What
an exceptionally ordinary performance.

See you in Melbourne next week, Fred :)

  - mark

--