On Apr 11, 2010, at 11:34 AM, David Conrad wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> Part fo the reason folks aren't rushing to the V6 bandwagon is it's not
>>> needed.  Stop doing the chicken little dance folks.  V6 is nice and gives
>>> us tons of more addresses but I can tell you V4 is more than two years form
>>> "dying" just by seeing all the arm flailing going around.
>> IPv4 will not die in 2 years.
>
> I'd wager it won't be dead in 20 years. Of course, a lot depends on what is
> meant by "dying".

Yep.

Assuming IPv6 catches on in the post-runout crisis (and I think it will), I
suspect that IPv4 will be largely deprecated on the wide-spread internet within
about 5-10 years of IPv6 practical ubiquity.  I suspect it will ALWAYS be used
in some niches somewhere.

>> Growth in IPv4 accessible hosts will stop or become significantly more
>> expensive or both in about 2.5 years (+/- 6 months).
>
> Growth stopping is extremely unlikely. Growth becoming significantly more
> expensive is guaranteed.  Address utilization efficiency will increase as
> people see the value in public IPv4 addresses.  ISPs interested in continuing
> to grow will do what it takes to obtain IPv4 addresses and folks with
> allocated-but-unused addresses will be happy to oblige (particularly when
> they accept that they only need a couple of public IP addresses for their
> entire network).  At some point, it may be that the cost of obtaining IPv4
> will outstrip the cost of migrating to IPv6.  If we're lucky.

Eventually, utilization efficiency will get close to 100% and growth will,
therefore stop.

Note, I was specific about IPv4 accessible hosts, as in hosts which you can
send a TCP SYN packet to, not merely hosts which can originate connections.
Multi-layer NAT may help increase the number of IPv4-non-accessible hosts, but,
it can do little to help increase accessible host count.

Owen