On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Dave Sparro wrote:

> On 9/14/2010 1:08 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Would you object to an ISP model where a content provider could pay to get
>>> an ISP subscriber's package upgraded on a dynamic basis?
>>>
>> Yes... Because the reality is that it wouldn't be an upgrade. It would be a
>> euphemism for downgrading the subscriber's experience with other content
>> providers.
>>

> So it's not fair for an ISP to limit a consumer's circuit to the speed they
> paid for, if there's excess capacity in the network?  ie. If the ISP has
> capacity to offer 15Mbps down, that's what they should provide to a customer
> that has paid for 10Mbps.  Where's the cut-off?

If they only downgraded things to the capacity I paid for, sure. However, that
isn't what happens.

>>> It would look something like my Road Runner PowerBoost(tm) service, only it
>>> never cuts off when the consumer is accessing a particular content
>>> provider's service.
>>>
>> Except that PowerBoost(tm) provides a burstable service where the capacity
>> is already available and using it would not negatively impact other
>> subscribers. This, on the other had, would create an SLA requiring your ISP
>> to either build out quite a bit of additional capacity (not so likely) or to
>> negatively impact their other subscribers in order to deliver content to the
>> subscriber using this enhanced service.
>>
> I would think that the content provider's bag of cash is what would provide
> the incentive to add to capacity where needed.

It hasn't worked that way in similar situations I have observed in the past. In
my experience, they
pocket the cash as a windfall and move on.

>>> That would allow Netflix/Hulu/OnLive/whoever to offer me a streaming
>>> service that requires a 15Mbps connection even though I'm not willing to
>>> upgrade my 10 up/1 down ISP connection to get it.
>>>

>> There's little difference in my mind between this model and a model where
>> service provider X is in bed with content provider Y (perhaps they share
>> common ownership) and subscribers to provider X are given a dramatically
>> better user experience to content Y than to other content of a similar
>> nature.
>>

> I just don't see a way to get passed the current impasse.
> The consumers are saying "I want faster, as long as I don't have to pay more."
> Content providers are saying, "If consumers had faster, I'd be able to invent
> 'Killer App'.  I sure wish the ISPs would upgrade their networks."
> ISPs are saying, "Why should we upgrade our networks, nobody is willing to
> pay us to do so."

I'm actually happy with the speed I currently have. For $99/month I get about
30mbps down and about 8mbps up. That's adequate for my household needs.

I haven't encountered a content provider that has content I want that requires
more than that.

Where I have trouble is AT&T where I have paid them and they still haven't
upgraded their
wireless network.

Owen