On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Zaid Ali <z...@zaidali.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have seen age old discussions on single AS vs multiple AS for backbone
>>> and datacenter design. I am particularly interested in operational
>>> challenges for running AS per region e.g. one AS for US, one EU etc or I
>>> have heard folks do one AS per DC. I particularly don't see any advantage
>>> in doing one AS per region or datacenter since most of the reasons I hear
>>> is to reduce the iBGP mesh. I generally prefer one AS  and making use of
>>> confederation.
>>>
>>> Zaid
>>
>> If you have good backbone between the locations, then, it's mostly a matter
>> of personal preference. If you have discreet autonomous sites that are not
>> connected by internal circuits (not VPNs), then, AS per site is greatly
>> preferable.
>
> We disagree.
>
> Single AS worldwide is fine with or without a backbone.

Only if you want to make use of ugly ugly BGP hacks on your routers, or, you
don't care about Site A being
able to hear announcements from Site B.

> Which is "preferable" is up to you, your situation, and your personal tastes.
>  (I guess one could argue that wasting AS numbers, or polluting the table
> with lots of AS numbers is bad or un-ashetically pleasing, but I think you
> should do whatever fits your situation anyway.)

I don't see any significant downside to AS number consumption given a 32-bit AS
Number space.
I do see significant downsides to disabling BGP loop detection.

Owen