On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Brian Johnson <bjohn...@drtel.com> wrote:
> For clarity it's really bad for ISPs to block ports other than 25 for the
> purposes of mail flow control... correct?
Yes, correct.  If you're using another mail submission port, you're
connecting to a mail service that has the responsibility not to let
spam escape, and your ISP has done its job of stopping point-source
pollution.

>Bill>I've got a strong preference for ISPs to run a
>Bill>Block-25-by-default/Enable-when-asked.  [...]

> This is, of course, exactly why this blocking is done.

It looks like you're missing half my point, which is the Enable-when-asked part.
There are users who are perfectly legitimately running MTAs at home,
whether for reliability or privacy (e.g. so they can run SMTP-over-TLS
end-to-end) or just simplicity, and ISPs shouldn't be blocking them
(unless they're spammers, of course.)

> My take on this is that it IS best practice to have users use the submission
> port (587) for mail submission from the MUA to an MTA.
If you're running an MTA service, then yes.  If you're running a
transport service, then not necessarily.

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.