We actually have a lot of the old gigabeam radios in service, they are faster
than the published specs of the airfiber links (1G full duplex vs 750 mbit/sec
fd) and lower latency due to their very simplistic design.     To be honest,
from a network engineering standpoint, the gigabeams were conveninet as path
issues would show up as ethernet errors that can be used to trigger reroutes or
other events.    That being said, we did not have a large variety of switches
as the microwave side of our house is made up entirely of just a couple of
cisco models.    The gigabeams also have a pure OOB management setup.

John