On Mar 27, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Michael DeMan <na...@deman.com> wrote:
> AsI think as we all know the deficiency is the design of the DNS system
> overall.

One of the largest DDoS attacks I've witnessed was SNMP-based, walking entire
OID sub-trees (with spoofed source addresses) across thousands of CPEs that
defaulted to allowing SNMP queries over the WAN interface. "Oops". Topped out
around 70 Gbps if I remember correctly. No DNS involved.

> The fundamental cause and source of failure for these kinds of attacks comes
> from the the way the DNS (and lets not even get into 'valid' SSL certs) is
> designed.

Not really.  You're at least one layer too high.  (not even going to question
what "'valid' SSL certs" have to do with the DNS)

> It is fundamentally flawed.  I am sure there were plenty of political reasons
> for it to have ended up this way instead of being done in a more robust
> fashion?

I suspect if you look at the number of queries per second the best TCP stacks
could handle circa mid-1980s and compare that number to an average UDP stack,
you might see an actual reason instead of conspiracy theories.

> For all the gripes and complaints - all I see is complaints of the symptoms
> and nobody calling out the original cause of the disease?

You mean connectionless datagram transmission without validation of packet
source?

Regards,
-drc