On Dec 31, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Ray Soucy <r...@maine.edu> wrote:

> So this isn't an issue of the NSA working with Cisco and Juniper to include
> back doors, it's an issue of the NSA modifying those releases after the fact
> though BIOS implants.

Yes, I see this now, thanks.

AFAICT, the Cisco boxes listed are ASAs and PIXes, which are essentially Linux
PCs running a bunch of userland firewall stuff and which have BIOSes and so
forth; they aren't routers/switches.  I don't know much about Juniper gear, but
it appears that the Juniper boxes listed are similar in nature, albeit running
FreeBSD underneath (correction welcome).  I know nothing at all about Huawei
gear.

Compromising PCs with persistent malware/rootkits is pretty routine, so this
isn't really surprising, IMHO.

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton