In a message written on Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 02:58:12PM +0100, Marty Strong
wrote:
> Yes, if the IXP is distributed across more than one building then you have
> choice as to where you (and other people) put their equipment, so you may
> have to go to another building to connect to certain peers. Sadly nobody
> lives in a perfect world, so IMO having the IXP distributed across multiple
> buildings is better as you can connect to all those who are in your building
> directly, and peer with the rest over the distributed IXP.

I don't think there is an absolute right or wrong answer.

The ISP who needs to connect to 100 ISP's at 50M each has a
dramatically different need than the ISP that needs to connect to
20 ISP's at 6x100G each.  Both exist in the world.

The presenter clearly thought that a number of IXP's aren't serving
their customers/members well.  What we're finding out in this thread
is how many folks agree or disagree!  :)

Personally I'm with another poster, the real problem here is colos
that want to charge large MRC's for a cross connect.  I know of at
least one still trying to get $1000/mo for a fiber pair to another
customer.  For $1000/mo I can get GigE transit delivered _to my
office_ by multiple carriers.  To charge that for a cross connect
is just so, so wrong.

IMHO in building fiber should be NRC only, but if it has a MRC component
(to pay for future troubleshooting or somesuch) it should be small, like
$5/mo.  That's $60 year to do nothing, and even if the $40 an hour fiber
tech spends a hour troubleshooting _every fiber_ (which doesn't happen)
the colo still makes money.

Cross connects are our industry's $100 gold plated HDMI cables.

--
Leo Bicknell - bickn...@ufp.org