We have a single IP and optical group, but that’s not common at most larger
carriers.  We have a fairly complex national dark fiber backbone as well as
complicated metro networks.  You see a lot of vendors tout IP/optical
integration around optimization of resources, but the starting point is usually
a carrier who provisions both L3 protection and L1 circuit protection at the
same time.  It’s obvious to most that isn’t efficient, but there are carriers
out there who do that because the groups are so disjoint.  I would say that
does not represent the majority of carriers today however.  Optical vendors
will tout optical restoration as a means to reduce excess L3 capacity and they
are right, with modern CDC ROADMs and coherent optics you can plan a network
around optical restoration and gain a lot of cost reduction by reducing L3
capacity.  The tradeoff is in restoration times, as the photonic layer can’t
restore very fast right now, so there is a middle ground for most networks of
carrying either fully protected capacity at L3 or L1, and restoring other
capacity dynamically.  Typically for a subset of traffic like high priority
traffic.

I read the bulk of this thread and IPoDWDM is interesting from a collapsing of
boxes perspective if the network is simple enough it’s easy to operate and it
makes financial sense.  All the major router vendors are being forced by
content providers to integrate them into their boxes.   At OFC MS announced
they had been working with InPhi to develop a shorter reach (80km) tunable
QSFP28.  If it does not need to integrate into an optical control plane (like
one doing optical restoration) then it’s a very valid solution and I think
you’ll continue to see growth with it.

I call SDN the get out of jail free card for optical vendors because they no
longer have to even pretend they will interoperate via standard protocols like
GMPLS.  They expose REST APIs and people are willing to take it because it’s
fairly easy to deal with.

Phil