> Aaron Gould wrote :
> I'm really surprised that you all are doing this based on source ip, simply
> because I thought the distribution of botnet members around
> the world we're so extensive that I never really thought it possible to
> filter based on sources, if so I'd like to see the list too.

I emailed you. For years I ran it at home on a Cisco 1841, 100,000 BGP prefixes
is nothing these days. I am not surprised that Joe pushes that to some CPEs.

> Even so, this would not stop the attacks from hitting my front door, my side
> of my Internet uplink...when paying for a 30 gigs CIR
> and paying double for megabits per second over that, up to the ceiling of 100
> gig every bit that hits my front door over 30 gig
> would cost me extra, remotely triggering based on my victim IP address inside
> my network would be my solution to saving money.

I agree. If you want to get a real use of source blacklisting, to save
bandwidth, you probably went to rent a U in a rack at your upstream(s) to block
it there.
I never did it past 1GE, and I have never measured seriously the bandwidth it
would save, would be curious to know.
I think the two approaches are complementary to each other though.

Michel.