On October 7, 2018 at 15:49 fredbaker.i...@gmail.com (Fred Baker) wrote:

 > > On Oct 7, 2018, at 12:23 PM, b...@theworld.com wrote:
 > >
 > > That was one advantage of the old air raid siren system, it was difficult
 > > to ignore and required nothing special to receive (hearing
 > > impaired excepted.)
 >
 > Where I grew up, the “Civil Defense Warning” was used for air raids, nuclear
 > defense, and tornado warnings. By regulation, it was tested monthly. When we
 > heard it, which we did, the usual response was “they’re testing the siren
 > again” and resumption of the barely-interrupted activity.

No doubt we'll get there with these presidential alerts, just give it
time :-)

I'll get "amber alerts" regionally and just about every time it's
nearly impossible that I could even with the best of intentions do a
thing in response. Some non-custodial parent absconded with two kids
50 miles from here in a black honda or toyota...ok gotcha I'll keep my
eyes peeled...no doubt a terrible and stressful event for those
involved but...

So I tend not to be in a big rush to look at those alerts, actually I
think I turned them off which in that case was an option.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | b...@theworld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com