> I think that is a great idea. It should be as simple as
post-processing
> the output stream and pre-pending the (indent) spaces at the front of
each
> line.  It might be easier to create an PrependedStringReader that take
> string to pre-pend to each line, and the stream to read from. Then we
can
> just use that everywhere else :)

This sounds like a job for the System.Diagnostics Trace and
TraceListener.  It supports indenting, named output, pluggable listeners
and config files.  Something like this...

import System.IO;
import System.Diagnostics;

void Setup()
{
   Console.SetOut(new TraceTextWriter());
   Trace.Listeners.Add(new TextWriterTraceListener(Console.Out));
        // NOTE: XmlTraceListener doesn't exist yet
   Trace.Listeners.Add(new XmlTraceListener("logfile.xml"));
}

void Example()
{
        Trace.WriteLine("target-name", "target");
        Trace.Indent();
        Trace.WriteLine("some output", "taskname");
        Trace.Indent();
        Console.WriteLine("output from tool");
        Trace.Unindent();
        Trace.WriteLine("some more output", "taskname");
        Trace.Unindent();
}

class TraceTextWriter : TextWriter
{
        override public void WriteLine(string text)
        {
                Trace.WriteLine(text);
        }
}

I've been using this stuff recently in a unit test runner I've been
writing for Visual Studio.NET.  Thinking about it this component could
be made into a task for NAnt.  At the moment it supports all 2.x
versions of NUnit, JUnit and I'm thinking of adding support for #Unit.
Is anyone using #Unit?

What do you reckon?  Jamie.
--

NUnitAddin - Point and Test NUnit integration for Visual Studio.NET
http://dotnetweblogs.com/nunitaddin/