[snip]

> I haven't followed the discussion about substring too closely
> but Arjen's
> <regex> task looks like a good place to start.

Ok, I'll send it to the list later today. Just polishing it up a bit at the moment ;).

> How about changing the 'input' attribute to 'fromstring'.
> This way it
> leaves the door open for the task so that input could come
> from a file,
> fileset or other sources.

I think it's best to use a combination of the loop and regex tasks for cases where
input is to be obtained from files, lines in files or filesets. (The reason why loop
uses its own item="File" mechanism instead of using filesets eludes me. It should be
corrected, IMHO).

So, what Griffin wanted (extracting the filenames of xml files) can be accomplished as
such:

<foreach item="File" in="${xml.dir}" property="xml.filename">
        <regex pattern="^(?'filename'.*).xml" input="${xml.filename}"/>
                in="${filename}.xml"
                out="${filename}.html"/>
</foreach>

Best,