>> > 1) A server happiness task that lets you snoop around on the server
>> > see what's there.

>> Looking for what exactly? More information is good, but what would it
do?

Before doing an install, there's a ton of things that you can do before
you install. Simple things like making sure the server has the
appropriate software bits installed. Here's a simple (but not
exhaustive) list:

- .NET framework
- Correct OS
- Correct digital certificate for IIS
- Correct versions of all required strong-named assemblies
- Correctly configured ASP service accounts
- Presence of required event categories in event log
- Correct network configuration (e.g. check for hardened TCP/IP stack)
- Correct domain configuration
- Server lockdown done correctly (e.g. is debugging enabled?)

The list goes on ... but the goal is to walk up to an arbitrary server
and guarantee that the deployment environment is configured correctly.

BTW, the concept of server happiness is an idea that I stole from
Loughran & Hatcher's most excellent Java Development with Ant book.

Cheers,

-John
http://www.iunknown.com