> One of the difficulties I'm having is I can't see where any access
> permissions are being violated that might give me a clue on how to go about
> fixing it. Nothing is showing up in the event logs for example.

One of my biggest problems with Windows, though I don't know that other OS's
really do that much better.

> Thanks to everyone who's replied so far, but has anyone got any more ideas?
> Even suggestions on how I might go about troubleshooting and  tracking down
> the exact cause would be welcome.

When you say you have done a mapping, do you mean from windows explorer or with
a net use command (and the persistent option)?

Somewhere in the user hive of the registry is where these mappings must(may)
live along with a lot of other stuff that matters when you run outside the
normal interactive context (like printers, temp directories etc). I have found
a knowledgebase article that helped with printers and I wonder if there is
something similar for mapped drives.