-----Original Message-----
From: John Barstow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: November 12, 2003 7:40 PM
To: Clayton Harbour
Subject: RE: [nant-dev] NAnt Tag and Branch policies

I can't post to the list from this account; please forward.

As the one who started dabbling with branches, my original plan was that
branch would be created just prior to a release, and merge back in to
the
head after release.
That way, none of the developers are affected (they just carry on
committing
to head) and the release manager merges any patches for the release
candidates from head (where the devs commit them) to the branch (so they
show up in the next RC).
In retrospect, this did not work so well for the 0.8.3 release - it
ended up
being a fairly protracted release cycle, there were far more extensive
changes between RCs than anticipated, and I discovered that branching
and
merging is much harder in CVS than subversion (my primary source control
program).  Not to mention that I lost my ability to post to the dev
list.
I think this model will work better for this release - the code is
already
in a buildable/testable state (it was not at the beginning of the 0.8.3
cycle); there are no major changes immediately pending, and I have more
time
to devote to the release.
Doing everything on head means there essentially needs to be a code
freeze
in the run-up to release, or much tighter discipline in general.

John C Barstow