Hi All:

I am a cvs expert and would like to referr you to the following
branching patterns assembled by Brad, et al:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/

Using these patterns, I have effectively managed projects
in the past.  The ones I recommend for CVS are:

Branching Policy:
        Deferred Branching
        Codeline Conventions
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-policy.html#Deferr
edBranching
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-policy.html#Codeli
neConventions

Branch Creation:
        Codeline per Major Release
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-creation.html#Code
linePerMajorRelease

Branch Structure:
        LAG Development Line
        Parallel Releasing/Development Lines
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-structs.html#LagLi
ne
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-structs.html#Paral
lelRelEngDev

With this said, what we do is this:

Mainline            proj-1-0-branch
================    ================
proj-1-0-build-1
proj-1-0-build-2
proj-1-0-build-3 == proj-1-0-base     <== release candidate (pob)
                    proj-1-0-build-4
                    proj-1-0-build-5  <== formal release (document)
proj-1-1-build-1                            ^- map: cvs-tag:
proj-1-0-build-5
proj-1-1-build-2                                    rel-tag: proj-1-0
...etc...

rtag'n and tag'n are basically the same; they just create a tag
in the repository.  However, you really should use plain old "tag"
when you identify the stable builds.  Reason: you just validated
that the source in your workspace builds correctly; if you try
to do an rtag instead, you risk someone checking into the HEAD
and you will be tagging an unverified build-set.

rtag'n should be reserved to those times when you want
to create a branch off an _existing_ tag.  There is
no reason to rtag the HEAD unless you have a very
small development group.

hth,
-- Tom.

PS> Please note that Activity Branches and Branch per Task just cause
massive headaches with CVS
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/line-elems.html#ActivityB
ranch
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-creation.html#Bran