Though..., I'm not sure how a forcedepends flag would help, since isn't that
what call does now?   So..., I guess the forcedepends flag would be set to true
by default, and if set to false, it will only execute dependent tasks if they
have not already been executed.  But this would not affect the top-level task
being called, then to get the same behavior of the <depends/> task you would
need to do something like this:

<call target="foo" unless="target::has-executed('foo') forcedepends="false"/>

This seems like it might be more confusing and little more prone to error then
just reintroducing the force flag, then you can simply say:

<call target="foo" force="false"/>

which would do the same thing as <depends on="foo"/>, though you would not be
able to do <depends on="A,B,C"/> without using multiple <call/> tasks, but
that's not a big deal.

Maybe I should ask why the force flag functionality was removed instead of just
being fixed.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

James.