Hello Scott,

SH> The reason, please correct me in my memory is off, for the deprecation of
SH> the "force" attribute was because of the change to the <call/> task to do
SH> this by default. The idea was that if you want the behavior of dependencies,
SH> you will use that mechanism (via the depends attribute of the target), but
SH> if you want a target (and its dependencies) executed, you will use the
SH> <call/> task.

The idea works as far as you know the target name when you write build
script. If it is generated somehow (unfortunately, we have and need it
in our build), you cannot really use "depends".
SH> Now, the example of <call target="foo" force="false"/> is a little
SH> ambiguous. Do you mean, don't force "foo" (meaning only execute if it hasn't
SH> yet), or don't force all the dependencies, or both? Would your <depends
on=""/>> not force any executions?
Surely, I mean don't force "foo", and I don't want to think at all
about what it depends on, it is some stuff which is _internal_ to the
"foo" target and it claims that it needs that all these targets in
depends had already been called before executing "foo". If "call"
calls the depends again, disregarding the fact that they had been
already executed, it smells more like a mistake/thinko.

SH> Not to put Gert on the spot, but I think he may remember all this stuff a
SH> little more vividly than I. I think he was the once to deprecate <call
force=""/>>.

SH> Now that I'm thinking about this, maybe the depends stuff should work so
SH> that if anything you depend on executes again, your previous executions
SH> should be ignored.
We are arguing about the meaning of the word "depends", and the vision
of it have shifted from what it was considered to be previously
(which is a bit sad for me).

--
Best regards,
 Ivan                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]