AFAIK, VS.NET uses front page extensions to talk to the webserver.  I
think I chose webdav when I first looked at it because it offers that as
an alternative when it can't open the solution w/FPE.

FPE seems to get around the permissions issue better than WebDAV does.
They've probably got some good hacks in there to make sure the whole
thing is painless.  Unfortunately, front-page extensions are barely
documented - I couldn't find a suitable reference to base an
implementation off.

This was all before the <webmap> element made this stuff
less-than-useful, of course.  :)

The more I think about it, the more I am in favour of just trashing the
WebDAV stuff.  Does anyone *really* need to build a project on a remote
webserver?  If so, we can always provide a workaround by HTTP GETing the
source and WebDAV putting the binaries, I suppose.

Matt.