Hi Gert,

> It would be a large task, but definitely a very interesting one ...

Glad you like it Gert, as you know the code better than I do I am even happier that
you said large instead of impossible :-).  I remember awhile back that you had talked
about a "team" of developers on the solution task and I guess I am just throwing in my
hat.

> I think I can see the following sub-tasks/issues :
>
> - have the <solution> task use the NAnt compiler tasks, and
> other interop tasks instead of starting these as processes
> ... <- this is a major task

Agreed, although I have looked through the Solution.cs, ProjectBase.cs and Project.cs
and it seems like there could be some "quick wins".  I will take a closer look at this
today and try to determine if this is true or I am being naļve :-).  If I get
something working I will post it to the list.

> - we should have a mechanism in place for decorating tasks
> with attributes that allow the supported framework(s) and
> platform(s) of a task to be set (and cause build failures if
> these "requirements" aren't met) <- this is a large task

I can see some benefit of this for 3rd party tasks, but I am not sure why this is
needed for the solution task.  I have a pretty simple point of view on this, being
that if the task does not work on both platforms the same way then there is a bug
somewhere.  Am I missing some complexity here?

> - there's no such thing as AssemblyFolders for Mono/Unix, we
> could use them on Windows though ...

I am not sure what AssemblyFolders are, is this related to the private bin path we are
using for library resolution currently?  If not then is there a way to simulate this
behavior and create Mono/Unix and Windows implementations that "do about the same
thing"?

> - not sure if we wil be able to use the HINTPATH on unix

Again, the above might be possible.

> - we'll definitely come across some mono bugs doing this, so
> these need to be reported/fixed

No doubt, I made sure my bugzilla account was still active :-).  If it is anything
that we can't work around though it is probably major enough that they will want to
fix it for the release.

Cheers,

Clayton