----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian MacLean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gert Driesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Troy Laurin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Castro, Edwin Gabriel (Firing Systems Engr.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Eric Fetzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nant-dev] I was wrong <loadtasks>

Gert Driesen wrote:

Troy,

Eventually, we might want to get rid of the binaries in the source distribution and use Makefile (linux) or batch file (windows) to build a bootstrap version of NAnt, that is then used to build the full version of NAnt.

we'll still need the binaries for dependent libraries though so this might not be that useful. Although it would mean not having to update those bootstrap binries all the time.

Not sure, if I understand you correctly, but we'd only need the third party assemblies, no NAnt assemblies, right ?

If there are no NAnt assemblies in the source distribution, then users cannot mistake then for being a full binary distribution, and we would indeed get rid of the need to update the binaries in cvs ...

Oh and if we decide makefile then there is no reason not to use a nmake compatible makefile for windows.

Yeah, but I'm not sure if all users have nmake (is it installed as part of VS.NET, or ... ?), but those wanting to build NAnt from source will surely have I guess ...