Ian, Martin,

Do you think we should support VS.NET 2005 solutions/projects in the <solution>
task ?

As far as I can tell, we have two options for supporting this:

1. Do the full parsing, and processing of the solutions/projects ourselves,
like we do for VS.NET 2002/2003, and use our built-in tasks (and extend these
where required) to do the heavy work.

2. Invoke MSBuild (behind the scenes) to build VS.NET 2005 solutions/projects.

The advantage of (1) could be that it allows users to target multiple framework
versions, but the code that is generated (behind the scenes) by VS.NET 2005
makes it impossible to compile for older versions of .NET. However, we might be
able to compile most code using Mono once the Mono tools support some of the
stuff that's introduced in .NET 2.0 (eg. creating strongly typed code for
accessing resources)

Users (build authors) can also extend the VS.NET 2005 project files. This is
definitely not something we can support.  So, we'd be putting in a lot of
effort just to support very basic VS.NET 2005 projects.

Option (2) makes perhaps even less sense: if we do not process the VS.NET 2005
solutions/projects ourselves, then we cannot support more advanced options of
the <solution> task for them (such as <assemblyfolders>, outputdir, ...). And
if we cannot do this, then what's the benefit over using a <msbuild> task
anyway ?

What do you think ?

Gert