And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: >From "Young,Tricia A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To 'Ish' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject RE [FN] Plunder
Date Sun, 21 Feb 1999 115715 -0800

Ishi and the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

A researcher has found Ishi's brain stored in a warehouse of the
Smithsonian Museum, along with "thousands of skeletons" of Native
Americans. This is despite the fact that every Indian nation still alive
is active in seeking repatriation of their relatives and possessions. The
National Museum of the American Indian Act (NMAI) enacted in 1989 provided
a way by which Indians could reclaim their relatives and possessions, in
all but a few cases robbed from them by the advancing colonialists. This
was the good intention of the 101st Congress. However, under this act,
the burden of proof was placed on the tribe IF a tribe could prove the
artifacts or remains belonged to their nation, and IF they could prove the
museum had obtained these items "illegally" THEN they could hope to
retrieve such items. The fact the museum still has nine brains, thousands
of skeletal remains and untold artifacts 10 years after NMAI was
established proves (1) the poor documentation the museum has maintained
despite it's image as a scientific institution (a case in point is that
Ishi's brain has only been found 83 years after Indians demanded it's
return), (2) how difficult it is to prove to the museum it has no right to
these items and (3) the inherent conflict of interest NMAI placed on the
museum, causing them to drag their feet in the repatriation of artifacts
and remains.

The museum is proud of it's Native American collection and is loathe to
reduce it's influence in this area. Yet, few artifacts and no bodies -
none - were freely given to any advancing army of conquest or
anthropologist or other European migrant. It is well recorded that some
artifacts were given during treaty signings and some obtained through
barter or the establishment of friendships with individuals.
Anthropological excuses for grave robbing are well documented. What is
not so widely known was the U.S. government's policy to obtain these items
with the assistance of the advancing military. The Smithsonian's
repatriation website displays a letter "from the Surgeon General's Office,
Dept. of the Army, to the Generals, Washington City, January 13, 1868
"Will you allow me to ask your kind interposition in urging upon the
medical officers in your departments the importance of collecting for the
Army Medical Museum specimens of Indian Crania and of Indian Weapons and
Utensils, so far as they may be able to procure them." This particular
type of "procurement" was done on the battlefield or in the Indian
village, when the battle was over and bodies were stripped, the brains
removed and Indian homes ransacked. However, the vast majority of
"holdings" of the museum were obtained through grave robbing.

How is an Indian nation to prove these are "illegal acquisitions",
considering the United States has yet to admit it's systematic policy of
extermination of indigenous peoples, and when the museum itself cannot
maintain it's documentation? The horror of the Surgeon General's request
is inherent, yet the letter is proudly displayed on the website, there is
still so little understanding of what has occurred on this continent to
the indigenous peoples. The fact is, nearly all of every museum's
holdings of Native American artifacts and bodies are illegally obtained.
Return them please, and if they can't be identified, honor them with a
decent mass burial at a national holocaust memorial.

  ----------
  From J.D.K.Chipps[SMTP [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
  Reply To FN
  Sent Sunday, February 21, 1999 1010 AM
  Subject Re [FN] Plunder

  Smithsonian says

   If an Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization requests the
return
  of
   Native American unassociated funerary objects, sacred objects, or
  objects of
   cultural patrimony, and can show that the Smithsonian Institution did
  not
   have the right of possession of such objects, then the Museum will
  return
   the objects unless it can show it has the right of possession...."

  I would be interested in hearing/seeing the justification or
  rationalization that the Smithsonian uses to claim the right
  of possession of anything taken from a burial site.

  It looks like another case like Monatana was facing with the
  buffalo. There are federal laws that protect "wildlife", so
  Montana changes the classification of buffalo to "livestock"
  so they don't have to worry about wildlife laws.

  So now, I suppose that the Smithsonian has made up some
  "rules" that allow them to violate the Creators Laws in so
  far as honoring and respecting the dead.

  On the one hand we have The Creators plan for man, and on
  the other we have Smithsonians plan for the Creator.

  (Gee, I wonder which one will hold up at the "final
  appeal")?

  Smithsonian, if I were you, I would start worrying about
  what is the "right thing" to do, instead of trying to find a
  man made law to justify your actions.

  It isn't right to disturb the dead, no matter how many laws
  you pass saying it that it is.