And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

via:"Wild Rockies Alerts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Jonathan Proctor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Celestial Seasonings Progress

Celestial Seasonings Commits to Protecting Prairie Dogs

RMAD Lifts Boycott

A few weeks ago, popular tea-maker Celestial Seasonings poisoned prairie
dogs on its property in Boulder, Colorado. Rocky Mountain Animal Defense
(RMAD) announced a boycott of Celestial Seasonings products upon learning
of this incident. Our boycott called for Celestial Seasonings to make the
following commitments:

No more killing of prairie dogs, or any other wildlife species, on this
property.
No relocation of prairie dogs from this property.
Recovery of the poisoned areas on this property (i.e., explore the
possibility of relocating prairie dogs from elsewhere in the county to this
property to fill the void created by the deaths).
No development of this property.
No use of this property as a temporary parking lot or for other disruptive
uses. (This had been done recently.)

On Tuesday, May 25, RMAD representatives met with Celestial Seasonings
representatives to discuss the situation. At this time, we have reached a
satisfactory agreement with Celestial Seasonings and are lifting our
boycott.

Thanks to everyone who wrote emails and letters, made phone calls, and
otherwise helped affect this positive outcome.

The only issue of contention regarded development. RMAD agreed to the
relocation of prairie dogs from one portion of the land to another to make
room for impending development on the property. Celestial Seasonings
committed to providing permanent protection for the remaining 15-20
acres-land that represents fully one-third of the remaining privately held
prairie dog colonies in Boulder.

Celestial Seasonings worked with Rocky Mountain Animal Defense to draft the
following action plan, which will guide the company's prairie dog policy:

     1.Immediately limit prairie dog colony management activity to
relocation within property boundaries only.
     2.Continue meeting with leading environmental and wildlife
organizations to hear their concerns first-hand and ask their help to
develop our long-term strategy for co-existence with the prairie dog
colony.
     3.Explore the potential for some relocation of prairie dogs to our
property.
     4.In anticipation of a facility expansion plan, create a buffer zone
around the facility with minimal impact on the existing habitat.
     5.Ensure that the colony is protected during all activities utilizing
the facility and, most importantly, that the fields are not used for
parking.
     6.Establish the Celestial Seasonings' Environmental Grant program.
This program will request proposals from Boulder County Environmental and
Wildlife organizations. Our intent is to receive these proposals by July 1,
1999. We will then have our employees vote on which two or three
organizations they would like us to support. Our financial support would be
up to $50,000 per year in total. These groups would also be organizations
our employees would be prepared to volunteer their time to.
     7.Include education regarding the value and the plight of prairie dog
ecosystems in our company tour and consumer relations efforts.

Celestial Seasonings CEO Steve Hughes says he and his company have come to
understand the importance of prairie dogs and the plight of these animals.
In a full-page ad published on May 28 in the Boulder Daily Camera, the
company states, "[W]e hope to be a model for handling environmental issues
in a humane and earth friendly manner.

The decision by Celestial Seasonings to protect the prairie dogs on its
land, and to integrate a discussion on the importance of the prairie dog
ecosystem into its tours, is a step ahead for the business community. We
expect other companies along Colorado's Front Range to recognize that the
days of exterminating wildlife are over. It is our rresponsibility not only
to protect what remains of our natural places, but to peacefully coexist
with the inhabitants of those places.

Poisoning has been the greatest historical threat to prairie dogs in the
United States. As early as 1912, more than 90% of the prairie dogs in
Colorado were eliminated through poisoning alone. And poisoning continues
to this day.

RMAD has worked since its inception to protect prairie dogs and the short-
and mid-grass ecosystems they support. RMAD employs protest, education, and
litigation to this end.

Please watch the RMAD web site (www.rmad.org) for updates on the Celestial
Seasonings situation. We still have a lot of work to do, and we'll keep you
posted on our progress.

For more information about prairie dogs and RMAD's efforts on their behalf,
see www.rmad.org/prairiedogs.html

Celestial Seasonings is on the web at www.celestialseasonings.com

Rocky Mountain Animal Defense (http://www.rmad.org)
303-449-4422

Jonathan Proctor
Predator Project, Prairie Dog Ecosystem Campaign
801 Sherwood Ave, Suite B, Missoula, MT  59802
406-543-8424, Fax: 406-728-9432
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html