And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Robert Eurich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am well aware of this controversy as I live only 6 miles from Milford and
sent word of the monument's destruction to Indian Country Today when the
incident occurred in December 1997 around the anniversary of Wounded Knee.  In
fact, the local papers, knowing of my activities, contacted me looking for
information.  To date, the person or persons who smashed the stone pillar and
inscriptions ("Tom Quick - Avenger of the Delawares") have yet to be found.

There are just a few points that I would like to touch upon concerning this
matter.

First, while there is no doubt in my mind that Tom Quick was a bloodythirsty
maniac and a product of his time, it should also be said that the details of
his life may have gained something in the telling.  In short, it's hard to
distinquish here what is folklore and what is truth.  Having grown up around
these stories I have heard many various details over and over.   This is not
intended to defend Quick.  I am sickened by the thought of his atrocities and
oppose the monument.  Rather, it is just my opinion that, as dramatic as they
sound, stories like that concerning his deathbed scene and the actual number of
victims need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Secondly, the newspaper account did indeed say the borough intends to table the
issue.  Whether this is just a political subterfuge or is the council's actual
plan remains to be seen.  I would not put a diversionary ploy past them and
have heard that the monument has been reconstructed and rests in an iron
working shop that is owned by one of Quick's descendants who is also, I
believe, involved with the borough's police department.

Finally, having bitter first-hand knowledge about this, I feel compelled to say
that there are some *very* unscrupulous wannabes in this area who have passed
themselves off as FN for their own selfish reasons.  For instance, a few years
ago a powwow was held in Hawley, PA, also not far from Milford, that touted
itself as something like the "Festival of the Wakan(sp?) Bear."  It was
apparently put together by someone who goes by the name of "Wounded Bear"
whose son calls himself "Little Bear."  Their last name was Burke.  In addition
to attending that event myself, a FN friend of mine, who has been a craftsman
and storyteller for many years, had taken a booth space there.  Sometime later
we spoke and he told me of how the vendors had been ripped off, people were
selling who shouldn't have been, visitors were being accosted, lies and
double-talk taking place.  He was real down on the organizers and I feel he's
in a position to know about these things.  Needless to say, it was a one-time
event.

Around this same time the school brought this "Little Bear" to a board meeting
to support their position on the school's "Red Raider" mascot.  This person
came to the meeting wearing a breastplate and big silver necklace.  "This is
how us modern Indians dress." he said.  The crowd and unusally large media
contingent ate it up.  He then went on to say how words like "redskins" honor
Indian people ("It represents the red blood that people of all colors share.")
and how involved he was with AIM and how his group would be happy to design a
"respectable" logo for the school or would come in to do some "educating" (for
a fee, of course)... If I recall correctly, the name of his group was the
Pennsylvania Native American Intertribal Association, an organization that I
could find no listing or contact information for anywhere and that was unknown
to the NCAI.  After the meeting, when I gently inquired about his heritage he
only said, "I have relatives out west."

Long story short, I do not wish to disparage Elaine Van Raper
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) or the "Native American Historical Truth Association,"
neither of whom I know, although her name does sound familiar.  Perhaps all is
as it should be and everyone is on the level.  It's just that past experience
tells me a little caution here might not be unreasonable.

I plan on attending the June 13 rally and will convey any other news about this
that I come upon.

Robert

--
American Indian Sports Team Mascots
http://www.geocities.com/~earnestman/1indexpage.htm

"Little drops of rain wear away the greatest of stones."

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html