And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:54:55 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: INNU GIRL SETS HERSELF ON FIRE (SOLVENT ABUSE)

9/14/99  By RYAN CLEARY  The St. John's Nfld. Telegram

A 14-year-old Davis Inlet girl suffered burns to 40 per cent of her body
after dousing herself in gasoline she had been sniffing and setting it
alight Sunday morning. She was trying to kill herself, residents say.
Several other solvent abusers who were with the girl at the time managed to
put the flames out. She was airlifted to hospital in Happy Valley-Goose Bay
where she’s listed in stable condition.  The troubled Labrador Innu
community has been trying for years to free itself from the scourge of
solvent abuse but hasn’t been successful. There’s still hope, though.
According to Jim Nui of the Innu Nation, the Davis Inlet band council is
considering calling a public meeting to discuss a number of new alternatives,
including fining parents whose children break the law while high on
gasoline fumes.  “Most of the criminal activity that’s here during the
nights is by those solvent abusers and there’s nothing we can do. This has
gone on much too long,” said Nui, the brother of band chief Mark Nui, who
was unavailable for comment Monday.

“We try various methods like shipping them out. That’s no good, and as of
now we’re stuck in the middle of nowhere and we don’t know what to do.” As
for when a public meeting will take place, Nui said the band council has
its hands full at the moment with, among other things, the community’s
scheduled relocation to nearby Little Sango Pond in 2001.  Many of the
youth of Davis Inlet were taken on field trips to Ontario earlier this year
as part of program organized by the RCMP to reward them for steering clear
of alcohol and gasoline sniffing.  The troubles of the tiny, isolated
community were first brought to the world’s attention in the winter of 1993
when six children were videotaped huddled in an unheated shack, high on gas
fumes and screaming they wanted to die. Since that time, dozens of children
have been sent to Ontario and Alberta for treatment.

Still, incidents of extreme vandalism sparked by children high on gas fumes
have continued.

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks