And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

From: "Michael (Mickey) Posluns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      CBCNEWS Martin says Mohawk bank a no go

http://newsworld.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/go.pl?1999/11/15/mohawk991115
--
Michael W. Posluns,
The Still Waters Group,
First Nations Relations & Public Policy

Please feel free to ask us about our Topic Based Hansard files,
Canadian parliamentary debates compiled by topics and bills.

Please note new address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Phone:  416 656-8613
Fax:    416 656-2715

36 Lauder Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario,
M6H 3E3

Lynne Robson reports for CBC TV
Martin says Mohawk bank a no go
WebPosted Tue Nov 16 07:59:01 1999

KAHNAWAKE, QUE. - Federal Finance Minister, Paul Martin, says the Mohawk plan to
establish a sovereign financial territory in Kahnawake will not work.

Mohawks on the reserve south of Montreal, want to transform the area into an offshore
tax haven.

Chief Davis Rice
Chief Davis Rice says they're developing a bank, securities exchange and a regulatory
authority that will be similar to the Caribbean tax havens.

Setting up a bank beside the St. Lawrence Seaway is not quite the same as banking on a
Caribbean island. But Rice says they have something special to offer -- special
status.

Rice says the reserve is a sovereign nation within Canada that is able to trade freely
across international borders -- even if right now the law says offshore banking is not
legal in Canada.

"That doesn't mean things can't change," says Rice. "Doesn't mean we have to endure
and accept what is normal standards."

But Paul Martin says tax exemptions applicable to native peoples don't apply to
non-natives.

Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard also chose not to endorse the offshore bank plan,
saying it's not a general policy of his government to institute tax havens.

Law professor Brad Morse of the University of Ottawa, says politicians are worried
because Mohawks may have the law on their side.

"This is the first time a First Nation anywhere in North America has suggested their
jurisdiction includes international banking," he says.

Copyright © 1999 CBC All Rights Reserved