And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:34:13 -0800
From: Barbara Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

          THE INDIAN HELPER
                 ~%^%~
           A WEEKLY LETTER
              -FROM THE-
  Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
  VOL. XV. FRIDAY, November 17, 1899  NUMBER 4
    THE SOONER WE KNOW IT THE BETTER.
         -------------
   The world will never adjust itself
     To suit your whims to the letter;
   Some things must go wrong your whole life long
     And the sooner you know it the better.
   It is folly to fight with the Infinite.
     And go under at last in the wrestle;
   The wiser man shapes into God's plans
     As the water shapes into a vessel.
         =======================
          [photo: CANYON DIABLO.]
                 ------
   This Canyon is in Arizona, on the Sante Fe Route to California.
   In English the name means, the valley of the devil.
   See the bridge with a train of cars upon it.
   The writer has looked from the car window when in the center of this
bridge and felt like a bird in air.
   Far below, great rocks which must have been as large as houses, looked
like pebbles.
   The canyon is a gigantic rent in the earth's surface.
   One travels along quietly, and the country looks like a smooth plateau
with mountians in the distance, when all of a sudden, the cars are upon
a bridge which spans a canyon with precipitous walls, and one feels as
though hanging in mid-air, between earth and eternity.
   There is no gentle slope as down to a river's brink, but it is as
though a section of the earth

had been sliced out with a monstrous giant's knife.
   The cars creep slowly over, and the passengers one by one draw deep
sighs of relief, when safe on the other side.
   The bridge must be a standing wonder to the Indians who see it.  It is
in the Indian country, and many must have beheld its amazing beauty, and
what must they think of the white man's powers, when such a deep
crevasse in the earth's surface, almost impassable to one on foot or
horseback, is joined together by a thread of steel and iron over which
the snorting locomotive carries thousands of people yearly.
   Such a piece of engineering skill is more than they can comprehend,
and they do not try, but settle back in their shells like tortoises, and
think:
   "We are Indians and cannot be anything else."
   When brought out and away from their home shells, however, and placed
in positions where from children up they can see and learn a little at a
time, in surroundings that at every breath they are advanced in thought
and power, there is no reason why they should not become bridge builders
and engineering architects.
   Indians cannot have such knowledge carried to them in usable
quantities.  The boy who wishes to become a bridge builder must settle
himself for a term of years in the midst of bridge builders and work
with them, studying their plans and secrets.
     ======================
   HOW THE NEWS OF DR. WILE'S DEATH WAS RECEIVED BY EX-STUDENTS AND
GRADUATES AWAY FROM US.
         --------
   Chauncey Yellowrobe, '95, now at Ft. Shaw, Montana, as an employee
says:
   "I am indeed greatly grieved at the loss of your school chaplain.  I
can hardly believe
(page 2)
           THE INDIAN HELPER
          PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                 --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
           BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The man-on-the-band-stand
          who is NOT an Indian.
     P R I C E: --10  C E N T S  A  Y E A R
Entered in the PO at Carlisle as second
         class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
                   Miss Marianna Burgess, Manager.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
   Arthur Parker, who left us rather unceremoniously a few years since,
has been on a number of long ocean voyages, we hear; but he now is in
New York City, and witnessed the football game with Princeton last
Saturday.  He met the Carlisle contingent and much enjoyed his little
visit with the boys.
   Prof. Josiah George resigned his position as band master of this
school after three years' service, and is now filling a position in
Syracuse, New York.  Mr. George was a thorough musician and a successful
Band Instructor.  The American wishes him and his family much happiness
and success in their new field of labor. -[Chemawa American, Oregon.
   We are to have another good entertainment.  Maro is coming, and will
be here on Monday night.  Everybody likes Maro.  He is a person who does
all sorts of tricks and make people wonder.  He makes flowers grow right
before your very eyes.  The town people will have a chance to see him in
the Opera House on Saturday evening, but some cannot go then, and they
will have an opportunity to see him here.  Admission 25 cents.  Good
seats reserved.
   Miss Luzena Choteau, '92, has been supporting herself since she left
Carlisle, in the very heart of civilization, first in the great city of
Chicago, at a clerk's desk in the Inter-Ocean office, and as
stenographer in one or two of the leading merchantile houses, and now in
the United States Treasury Department at Washington.  She keeps very
quiet, but is working away, as is evidenced by reports we get from
various sources and an occasional friendly letter from her.  She is glad
to be recognized as a woman among women, not as a person of any peculiar
type or race, and she is respected by the people with whom she
associates.  This is the true spirit of Carlisle.
   A Manila solder, Mr. Abram L. Mumper, paid the office a visit this
week, and through inquiry we gained some very interesting information
from the Phillipine War and the natives.  Mr. Mumper is visiting friends
in Mechanicsburg and was very recently mustered out of the army.  He has
been a resident of Colorado for 17 years, but joined company H Idaho
regiment.  He was in the great fight on the 4th and 5th of February, and
a number of other engagements, and says the Filipino leader, Aguinaldo,
is a great man, and a well-educated gentleman.  He has studied the
tactics of George Washington.  Mr. Mumper believes there will be no
Waterloo or Gettysburg, but there will be a system of warfare continued
for a long time which will take thousands of men and money to conquer.
His talk was of a private nature, but exceedingly interesting to all who
heard him in the printing office.  Mr. Mumper is an educated soldier and
took copious notes while in Manila as well as many Kodak views of the
country, and will probably work his information and views into magazine
articles.
   John Warren is meeting with success in getting subscriptions for
"Success" one of the very best family papers in the land today for
inspiration, progress and self-help.  A certain desired scholarship in
some college after he finishes Carlisle this year.  It is a laudable
purpose, and with a little more aid from friends who wish to send such a
helpful publication to those who need just such inspiring help, he will
succeed.  No better Christmas present could be given a young man, or a
young woman either, than "Success", Address John Warren, Carlisle, Pa
and forward him one dollar and a half, and he will see that the
subscription is sent to the publishers in good shape.
   Names of contestants who have now over fifty:  Miss Mary Shields,
Carlisle; Irving F. Merill, Moore Station, Pa; Jacob Rhule, Pittsburg,
Pa; George Muscoe, here; Howard Gansworth, Princeton University, N.J.;
Palageia Tutikoff, Emigsville, Pa; Bertha Fritz, Oak Lane, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania.  Send in a new name and say to whose credit we shall give
it, and let us have a lively vote!  Each vote must be a new
subscription.
   Simon Palmer goes to Bloomsburg Normal, and is determined, he says to
work his way through high school and college.  Simon has many riends at
Carlisle who wish him the best of success in his new field. He will meet
difficulties and may have to suffer many deprivations and much physical
discomfort in attaining the end, but if he keeps his health, his
earnestness of purpose will carry him through to the goal and then what
a self-respecting man he will be.
   We learn from good authority that the football team of the Ft. Hall
school, Idaho, defeated the Ross Fork team in a hard fought game, on the
6th, by a score of 15 to 8, and in the evening they enjoyed a taffy
social.
   Miss Rosa Bourassa, class '90, and a teacher for several years in
western shcools has a clerical position now at the Phoenix, Arizona,
Indian School, and says she likes her new work very much.  We are
greatly obliged to Supt. McCowan of the Pheonix school and to Miss
Bourassa for a nice subscription list for the HELPER.
   We say so much always in our WALK.  A person who steps as though he
was going somewhere for something is the one who is likely to be chosen
to fill a responsible place in which ther is good pay.
(p 3)
   On the school roll today - 979.
   Too many clouds for the meteors.
   Miss Campbell is back and at her post of duty.
   Miss Miller spent Sunday with friends at Newville.
   Dr. Eastman has gone to South Dakota on school business.
   Frank Jude is now numbered among our typos, and he begins well.
   Miss Miles returned from Oregon on Friday, making the trip in four
days.
   The Susans give a little reception to a few invited guests tomorrow
evening.
   We hear that our old typo, Frank Thomas, is working on the Chemawa
American.
   Mrs. Donaldson, of Harrisburg, with friends from a distance visited
the school on Monday.
   Mr. Simon writes that he is meeting with cold weather, and very bad
roads in Michigan.
   "The Red Man" combines September, October and November, this month,
and is now mailing.
   Mr. Frank Weitzel, of Carlisle, and friends from a distance were among
the visitors on Wednesday.
   The hungry stone crusher again devoureth the rocks as fast as two
Indians can feed the giant consumer.
   There will be no game tomorrow with the University of Maryland, as
they have written that their team is not in condition.
   A.J. Standing, Jr., and his father, Assistant-Superintendent Standing
visited the exposition grounds in Philadelphia, last Saturday.
   Mrs. Bennett's mother, Mrs. Flood, of Richboro, Pa., and cousin Miss
Chambers, of Vineland, N.J., are visiting the Bennett's at the near
farm.
   Miss Chochran and Miss Weekley visit the Invincibles, tonight; Mrs.
Cook and Miss Wood, the Standards; Miss Cambell and some one in Mrs.
Dorsett's place, the Susans.
   We get the news from Hoopa Valley that Juanita Bibancos has recently
married Mr. John Charley, an Indian of the same reservation.  Juanita
has many friends here who wish her joy.
   A cheery business note from Miss Quinn of Washington, D.C., speaks of
her pleasant memories of Carlisle and of her fondness of the children,
and she continues to like the little HELPER.
   Mrs. Dorsett started this week to visit her 162 girls in country
homes.  She will look into their home life and surroundings; their
school advantages and everything pertaining to the welfare of the girls
who are out.
   A Philadelphia subscriber closes his business note thus: "We teach the
savage (?) mind, and then it turns and wipes out the great and cultured
University.  Go ahead!  You are getting there if you have not already
reached it."
   For the early history of Carlisle, be a little mouse in the corner
when Miss Harne and Miss Noble get together, and both feel like
talking!  Their reminiscences are very entertaining.  Both are old
residents of this aristocratic old town.

   The mandolin club promises some music for our next entertainment.
Prof. Morrow, of Harrisburg, who comes once a week, is sparing no pains
to perfect his pupils.
   Frank Cajune is at the Genoa School, and seems to be enjoying his
position as instructor in painting.  He is very grateful to Mr. Norman
for what he learned in our paint-shop, and seems to be using the
knowledge obtained to excellent advantage.
   The Printer-Harnessmaker game resulted in a defeat of the printers by
a score of 12 to 6, last Saturday on our Athletic field.  The stitchers
of leather played well and deserve credit.  The printers made their
score, it is said in a minute and a half.
   Jeannette Horne, '99, is attending school in Eureka, Cal., and says by
letter that she finds her higher studies "interesting but difficult like
many other things we have to contend with."  The school is a large one,
and it seems strange to her not to be in an Indian school.
   The Roger-Grilley entertainment on Tuesday evening was intensely
enjoyed by the student body and by all.  The golden harp as it stands
alone is a thing of beauty, costing some $3,000 and when Mr. Rogers'
fingers are upon the strings the strains produced are rapturous.  Mr.
Grilley is also an artist in the line of impersonation.  We hope they
will come again sometime.
   Mr. Charles Buck, of Browning, Montana, and a man of considerable
business enterprise of that section, is with us for a few days. Charlie
longed to see the school where he had spent many happy days as a
student, and brought 12 boys and girls to take Carlisle's course. He
looks well and happy.  It will be remembered that Charlie married Spyna
Deveraux, one of our faithful and much beloved girls, and they have a
happy home of their own.
   Princeton came off best last Saturday by a score of 12 to 0.  Our boys
have the credit of doing remarkable work on the field.  Several of our
best men occupying the most prominent places were not in good trim, and
our substitutes are not heavy enough to keep up the average in weight;
neither have they had the experience necessary to cope with the best
teams.  The large universities are unlimited, practically in the number,
and unhampered as to weight and experience of their substitutes.
   Miss Stewart has no more interested little pupils in her sloyd class
than Mary Stevick and Dora Eastman.  Esanetuck, Abram and others of the
small children also take great pride in their sawing, planing, measuring
and drafting.  The sloyd room is a little bee hive, and the process of
head and hand cultivation there going on is to be highly commended for
the small boy and girl of any race, and especially do the stolid little
Indian boys and girls, who have come down from generations of stolidity,
need this training.  The sloyd children make the most intelligent
workers in the shops when they reach that stage of their development.
   The boys of Girard College are getting more and more interested in our
school, as is evidenced by the now-and-then new subscriptions.

(page 4)
Dr. Wile is dead.  The light of Dr. Wile's life will always shine in the
hearts of many of Carlisle's students."
   Charles Daganett, '91, now at Poughkeepsie attending Eastman's
Business College, after having successfully served the Government as
teacher and clark at several places in the West, and has come to Eastman
to fit himself for a higher grade of clerical work, says:
   "It is with much sorrow that I note the death of Dr. Wile.  How often
in the past years have I thought of him and his well remembered earnest
talks.  He was our chaplain some time before I left school, and after
leaving, I, once in a while got sketches of his sermons in the HELPER
and Red Man, which were always enjoyed.  On our way to Carlisle from the
West one of our anticipated pleasures was that of listening to Dr. Wile,
more so, no doubt, because our ups and downs in the intervening years
had shown us the real worth of his most excellent talks, and how well
selected his words of counsel.  "Not how long but how well," makes life
a success.  It is certainly sad to think of his death right in the midst
of his usefulness, but the recollection of him and his noble work will
always be one of pleasure to those who knew him."
   Milly Bailly, Sisseton, South Dakota, says:
   "I received the HELPER this evening, and I was shocked to read of Dr.
Wile's death.  I can picture him in my mind talking to the school. I
hope the students will follow the advices he gave."
   Lizzie M. Tyndall, nee Lizzie Hill '97, now at Lower Brule, South
Dakota, with her husband Joel Tyndall, ex-student, says:
   "Yesterday I received a letter from Miss Edge, stating the death of
your dear pastor - Rev. Dr. Wile. It is hard to realize that he is no
more."
         ==========
    WHAT THE HARVARD MEN THINK OF US AS FOOTBALL PLAYERS.
                 ----------
   The Harvard Crimson, published at Cambridge, by Harvard students, says
editorially:
   A most edifying feature of Saturday's game was the thorough good
feeling which prevailed at all times.  Carlisle's clean, manly play won
our admiration from the start, and convinced us that we have never met,
on the football field, men of better metal.  In the fiercest rushes
there was never any evidence of unnecessary roughness or of questionable
tactics.  It was the kind of game that, unfortunately, is seldom seen,
even in a long season.  It was the kind of game that gives us a feeling
of settled contentment; because we know that we have met men fairly and
squarely and that there has been no breach of faith on either side.
Harvard men will not forget the Indian game in many years.  It has shown
us our eleven in its best light.  Of more importance, perhaps, it has
taught us a lesson in conduct.
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Schedule for Football.

   Sept. 23, Gettysburg at Carlisle; won, 21-0.
   Sept 30, Susquehanna at Carlisle; won, 56-0.
   Oct. 14 University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia; WON, 16-5.
   Oct. 21, Dickinson at Carlisle; won 16-5.
   Oct. 28, Harvard at Cambridge;lost, 22-10.
   Nov. 4, Hamilton at Utica; won, 32-0.
   Nov. 11, Princeton at New York, lost 12-0.
   Nov. 18, University of Maryland at Carlisle.
   Nov. 25, Oberlin University at Carlisle.
   Nov. 30, Columbia at New York.
before Thanksgiving Day, 1899, will receive in cash the sum of
twenty-five dollars.  There are certain easy rules and restrictions
which must be followed.  Send for them at once if you are going to enter
the contest.
  ============================
   Mrs. Reed, of Reedsville, this State, who has been interested in the
school for many years, having one or two of our girls with her in the
family nearly all the time has made the heart of little Dora, who was
recently with her, very happy by one of those heart to heart letters
which so many of the girls' country mothers write them and which do them
so much good.  Lillian Smith is with her now, and Mrs. Reed says she
plays the guitar with piano accompaniment sometimes in the evening,
which is very enjoyable to all who hear the music.
         ======================
   Notice the number on your wrapper!  If there is a one, a five and a
four, (154), that means you are paid to volume 15 (that is this volume),
number 4 (that is this number).  A prompt renewal will prevent delay,
insure against taking your name from the galley, and the making of an
error in getting it back in place.
         ======================
              Enigma.
   I am made of 18 letters.
   My 5, 8, 4, 7, 6 are great men.
   My 12, 18, 10, 15 is something most people do when pleased.
   My 9, 3, 10, 16 many unpleasant people are.
   My 2, 14, 13, 17 is a part of animals.
   My 3, 11, 1 is a busy insect.
   My whole is something most people are anxiously waiting for.
SUBSCRIBER.
   And we will add that the Indian boys and girls at Carlisle are
specially waiting for.
   ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA:  Cumberland.
For more information about the Carlisle Indian School, go to
http://www.epix.net/~landis.