On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 03:06:37PM +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been taking another look at the "add drive" designs for Nautilus,
> which will hopefully be worked on as a GSoC project this summer. There
> are a few elements to the design, and there are some open questions
> about it (both design and technical), so I wanted to lay it all out in
> writing.
>
> There are a couple of goals for the design:
>
>  1. Retire the existing "Browse Network" part of Nautilus - it's
> clunky, seems rather old fashioned, and overlaps with "Connect to
> Server".
>
>  2. Stop showing all internal volumes in the sidebar - they're not
> relevant a lot of the time, and clutter the sidebar.
>
> The design aims to address these goals by:
>
>  * Merging "Browse Network" into the "Connect to Server" dialog. Where
> you currently see a list of recent servers, there would also be a list
> of servers that have been discovered on the network.
>
>  * Instead of showing all internal volumes in the sidebar, hide them
> by default but add controls to allow the user to configure which ones
> are displayed.
>
> A further step could involve merging Connect to Server with drive
> configuration, into a generic "Add Drive" dialog (which could be
> called something else, such as "Add Drives and Servers") [1].
>
> As far as I'm concerned, there are a number of open questions which
> could influence the final design. These are:
>
>  1. Is it possible to discover servers on the network, in order to
> present them in a list? Are there scenarios where this wouldn't work
> for UX reasons (say, in environments where there are a lot of
> servers)?
>
>  2. Should we include online account configuration? This could be a
> good place to advertise that you can add OwnCloud to the sidebar (and
> hopefully Google Drive in the future).

It would probably be good to include available cloud drives (e.g. if
you've already signed into an owncloud account) with a link to Online
Accounts if you're not signed in.

>  3. Related to the previous question - what is the best way to
> describe "Connect to Server"? Common terminology is evolving in this
> area - are these servers, "cloud drives", "online accounts", or
> something else?

I dunno, "network volume" maybe? Perhaps that's too geeky. What do other
OSes call them?  I think cloud drives is good for personal storage over
the internet (e.g. an owncloud setup) but not so good for a local
windows share.

>  4. Depending on question 2 and 3 - does it make sense to merge
> Connect to Server and a dialog for adding internal drives? To some
> people, "servers" and "disks" might not logically go together. Also,
> disk configuration might work better as a preferences dialog, rather
> than an action dialog.
>
> The mockup experiments might help to clarify the significance of some
> of these questions [1].

I like the last one "Add Disks and Servers", although I think it should
be possible to also include online accounts in that list too. From a
technical perspective, an owncloud account is just a webdav share, so it
seems weird to treat it differently. Having a single list of mountable
volumes regardless of their location seems like the cleanest approach
since from a user's perspective, there should be little difference in
behavior between a local disk, an sftp mount and a Google drive.

Perhaps the UI for adding a drive to the sidebar can be unified with
adding a bookmark for a network volume?

--
Ross Lagerwall