Hello,

as far as I know extended file attributes are not supported by any of backends.
NFS protocol doesn't support them all. SMB and SFTP protocol should support
them, however libsmbclient doesn't provide API to read unix file modes at all.
SFTP backend should support unix modes already and it seems it is possible to
implement extended attributes support also, though I am not sure it is a best
idea. So I would recommend to use SFTP backend and please file a bug against
GVfs product if something doesn't work (patches are welcome):
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gvfs

I would recommend rsync for backups anyway... but I am not really sure whether
rsync backend is possible to be implemented and whether it would fulfill your
needs. I don't know the protocol, but I doubt about it. GVfs lacks manpower
anyway, so you are welcome if you wish to propose patches for it...

Regards

Ondrej