No hurry, i am doing this the old-fashioned way using ns_thread for now but ns_job-like way of handling proxies would be nice

Zoran Vasiljevic wrote:
On 13.09.2006, at 21:52, Vlad Seryakov wrote:

ok, for example i schedule encoder

ns_proxy configure channel1 -minslaves 0 -maxslaves 1
set h [ns_proxy get channel1]
ns_proxy send $h "/usr/bin/mencoder ...."

now proxy is running and pool channel1 is taken, in another thread i
cannot just issue ns_proxy get channel1, it will hang.

I can run ns_proxy active or ns_proxy handles but how i would know about
this particular process in order to use ns_kill?

I believe that ns_proxy as-implemtented now is not entirely
correctly, hence it opens whole lotta questions
as yours above. I'm gonna have to (partly) rewrite it tomorrow.
But before I do that, the answers:

Normally a proxy pool is just a collection of proxy-structures.
Each proxy structure is used to communicate with (and control)
an process instance. Each thread can acquire a number of such
structures from the pool. After doing so, it has sole ownership
of the proxy(es) and other threads have no access to them.
When a thread is done with the proxy, it can return it to pool
in which case some other threads can acquire it.
So, the proxy structure cannot be shared among threads. There
is no locking that would support that.

Now we may think about adding this, but to be honest I haven't
thougth about that at all yet. My first goal is to have a properly
working ns_proxy module. After we get this stable (which it still
is not) we can think about extending it.

Cheers,
Zoran