On 9/18/06, Vlad Seryakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know, I'm asking...
>
> I was wondering why registering a proxy handler is different than a
> regular registered proc.  Do they have to be different?
>
> The main difference seems to be that you can register a proxy for a
> protocol, i.e. http or https, but you don't have that option with
> regular registered procs.

correct

> Is this an important distinction to make though?  Registered procs can
> still check the protocol, manually, if they care.

right

> Re having to register for each method, that also is sometimes a
> problem for registered procs. Maybe allowing something like:
>
>   ns_register_proc * /* callback
>
> Where the only supported symbol is '*', meaning 'default, if no more
> specific method is registered'.  Perhaps that's too confusing --
> people will expect full glob support.  I don't think glob support is
> possible, or even desirable here.  Url handlers are supposed to be
> deterministic, only one will match some URL (unlike filters).

Agree, i will take a look. but glob does not work with url-specific
hashes and we want to keep them, they are very fast

Agree. Maybe it was confusing to suggest using '*' syntax to mean
'default' and not 'globbing pattern'.

What do you think to allowing defaults for methods?

i.e. If a GET request comes in, and a GET handler is registered, run
it. This will be just as quick as now.

If a PROPFIND request comes in, there is no PROPFIND handler, but
there is a default handler, run the default handler.

I'm not sure if this *is* feasable.  But sometimes it seems like this
would be useful.